Illegal, unreported, and unregulated (IUU) fishing does not respect rules adopted at either the national or the international level.
It threatens economic growth, food security, and ocean ecosystems around the world by undermining sustainable fisheries and the law-abiding fishers and communities that depend on them.
As the world’s population grows, pressure on ever-diminishing resources becomes stifling.
As a result, the ability to feed populations already under immense pressure becomes challenging and more costly. Nations blessed with coastlines must ensure that their resources are adequately managed to capture much-needed revenues and sustainable protein sources for their populations.
Seagull Maritime has risen to this challenge by working alongside governments, agencies, NGOs, and industry bodies to support global efforts to tackle IUUF. Seagull brings a wealth of experience operating multiple vessels offshore and adding a new dimension to disrupt the norm by adopting multi-layered coordinated intelligence-led targeted operations and optimizing assets such as patrol craft, vessel monitoring, surveillance, and analytics.
For over a decade, Seagull has delivered maritime security solutions in the Indian Ocean and Gulf Of Guinea to counter the threat of piracy.
We have proven well-established protocols and procedures to safely protect vessels, crew, and cargo while operating in high-threat areas.
In building such a capability, Seagull offers the following:
- Comprehensive strategic-level consultancy to assess the options, their effects, and the best course of action(s) to achieve them;
- An operational plan that turns strategic outcomes into operational and tactical activity specifically geared and linked to the aim, tailored to the financial resources available;
- Provision of systems to generate and maintain the ability to understand the activity going on in a state’s EEZ, in the form of a recognized maritime picture (RMP);
- Provision of capability/hardware that can achieve the tasks required to deliver the strategic outcomes cost-effectively; this can include ships, other craft, drones, intelligence collection assets, Etc.
- Training for the above tasks, for both individual and the organization
- Provision of trained workforce to support and execute such tasks if required;
- Ongoing support to complex, integrated, cross-government initiatives that address these issues.
Seagull Maritime, through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Larus Dominicanus Ltd, has recently been awarded a 15-year contract to supply a crewed fisheries protection vessel (FPV) to the Falkland Islands Government to protect a resource that contributes 67% of that Government’s revenue. We have acquired an impressive, state-of-the-art, new-build vessel specifically for the task, which commences ן January 2023.